Skip to content

VectorVest 7

Help us to improve the VectorVest products!

Support any existing ideas and add your own ideas! You can vote for as many ideas as you like.
Please make sure that your idea is as detailed as possible so that others can understand it and vote for it as well!

VectorVest 7

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

318 results found

1. Enable dividend income ( with or without franking credits ) to be included when backtesting

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  BackTests  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. %G/L is the only stop which allows taking a profit, why? RT<1 is a great stop, if I have a 50% Gain, I don't want to wait for the RT to go below one to be left with whatever profit may still be available, I want to take the 50% profit. Same applies to every stop in the program, why allow a good profit disappear by waiting to get stopped out? Is the name of the game taking profits or getting stopped out? This of course needs to be added in portfolios and backtest

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  BackTests  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ATR Stops are a great inclusion. So is Profit Locker. What I'd like is an ATR Profit Locker Trailing Stop, where instead of a fixed percentage Target and Stop, I could specify and ATR multiple target and Stop.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  BackTests  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to create lists of stocks (watchlists) that I could then use when running Backtests, instead of Backtest selecting from the entire universe of stocks.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  BackTests  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. At the moment you cannot exit a position at the trailing stop but rather at the close or next days average, which is always higher or lower than the trailing stop. This is not an accurate representation of real life as normally the position would be closed at the trailing stop.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Right now can only do automated backtest using same Market Timing Signal, for example Confirmed Up and Confirmed Down.

Right now can do MANUAL backtest of MIXED Market Timing Signals of Dew Down and Primary Up but would like MIXED Market Timing Signals to be AUTOMATED.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Can we please add the ability to use more than 1 stop criteria in Backtester. For eg, you can select 3 separate stop loss criteria in Backtester and whichever is first triggered on a particular day is the stop loss criteria that would be actioned on a particular stock. Thanks

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Backtests run over longer time periods, and graphed on the typical arithmetic scale, do not provide a satisfactorily visualization of the results. Significant moves in the early portion of the graph are "cramped" because the scale range must be increased to show later results.

Example: Start w/ $100,000. A simple increase of 25% per year over 10 yrs requires an arithmetic range from $100,000 to $1,000,000. A significant increase of 10% ($10,000), early on, is only 10,000/900,000 = 1.1% of the scale -- totally undistinguishable from a visual standpoint. On a log scale the same 10% move from $100,000 to…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The AutoTester checkboxes for "Close any position when entering this situation" are not sufficient, when the signal includes a Neutral phase.

When checked... When the signal transitions Up-Neutral-Up, positions entered on the first Up signal are closed on the second Up signal. This is also a problem, and unrealistic, for Down-Neutral-Down transitions.

When unchecked... Transitions from Up(Neutral) to Down will not close long positions. Transitions from Down(Neutral) to Up will not close short (or long Contra) positions.

A more realistic behavior is to close positions which were entered during the opposite signal. When the signal is Up, allow (optional) closure…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. CREATE A BACKTEST ON TECH. INDICATORS EXAMPLE MACD RUN A TEST TO SEE HOW MANY WINNERS IT HAD ON A PARTICULAR STOCK AND TIME PERIOD MAYBE THAT AIN;T THE RIGHT INDICATOR FOR THAT PARTICULAR STOCK MAYBE A RSI WOULD WORK BETTER SO YOU SEE IF THE RSI WOULD WORK OR MAYBE ANOTHER INDICATOR UNTIL YOU FIND WHICH ONE PRODUCES THE BEST RESULTS

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. For my long stocks I would like to see an option in the Backtest as well as the Portfolio that automatically calculates the Dividend Yield and re-invests that yeild into the stock. I believe this will more accurately portray my portfolio and backtests, especially in my long searches/tests.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. With hundreds searches, newbies & others need a short-list of best performing searches for different market conditions and trading-investing styles. Even with current categories, there are often a myriad of searches and a daunting task for new subscribers and other subscribers to wade through the long list of searches, as well as decipher the cryptic search descriptions.

VV HQ has both the expertise and back-testing systems to perform tests to find the best performing searches and create a short-list (1-3) searches for different market conditions, as well as styles of trading-investing.

Our local user group is often asked so what…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. want to change the color of the % gain/loss, CROR, ARR and other backtest results

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please add a Calmar Ratio column to the backtester. Currently the Calmar Ratio is shown in the situational report.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Trailing stop (and possibly other stops) are not being calculated correctly when using buy / sell at the current days close option. The error is that the system is using the high of the day that the stock was purchased at the close to calculated the trailing stop instead of using the days closing price to start the trailing stop calculation. This can result in the stop being triggered prematurely when the high is significantly higher than the closing price for that day. I back tested TQQQ from January 2016 to Feb 2023 and there were 6 times this happened.…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  BackTests  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. MTI the underline trend indicator is not considered as a market timing signal within the program, and so it can’t be used as a market timing signal for back testing and in a portfolio creation.

The underline trend would be very useful for back testing and portfolio creation.

Can this be included as a timing signal?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Backtester currently plots the equity curve, but we need a way to export the same data into Excel so that we can do further analyses in Excel to be able to do more through benchmark analyses as well as to be able to compare across different markets and indices. The data is already available and plotted. We just need to export it to a file -- just like what was already done for "Trade History". Please make this available ASAP. Thank you.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Take VV out of the DARK ages with Monte

Typical Scenario

Go to cash on a certain "sell" signal (or short) then buy the top x number of stocks from a given Unisearch based on a certain "buy" signal. But obviously, the top 5 stock by RT will be different to the top 5 by CI and so on an so forth, so you do another backtest sorted by CI and other by RT etc. However, one run of a Unisearch mechanic based on picking the top (say) 5 stocks using CI or RT etc may result in a freak…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I just got your ProTrader Add On and so far in my back testing I'm not able to simulate the way I really try to trade. That is, if I buy on a MACD and DPO crossover I might want to stop out of the position on some combination of these ProTrader signals. Is there anything in the works or the pipeline to add such a feature to the Back Tester?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Back Test Option to use and set as default - Buy at Next Day's Open and Sell at Next Day's Open. It would produce much more realistic results than the Same Day Closes we are currently using.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?